So today my friend and I decided to bake something completely random. We chose this recipe from the cookbook Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey by Jill O'Connor because we had no idea what florentines were and thought it sounded interesting. Our baking journey began with a mistake--i added too much butter to the pan. We had to remove some of the excess butter but I dont think we took enough out because in the end these florentines turned out to be super buttery ): Anyways, check out the recipe and try it! I recommend using less butter.
Because I cant really eat what we made, I had him tell me what they tasted like/reminded him of and he said rice krispy treats...so if you decide to make this recipe, email us and tell us what they tasted like!
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the sugar, butter and corn syrup. Make sure you are constantly stirring the mixture or else it will burn on the bottom.
- Once the mixture is completely smooth and combined remove from the heat and add the oatmeal, flour and salt. Keep stirring!
- Take the mixture out of the saucepan and place into a bowl, cover with saran wrap (or any material) and store in the refrigerator for an hour (minimum)
- Preheat oven to 325F
- After the refrigeration period is over, roll a small amount of dough (around a tablespoon) in between your palms to create a ball. Then place on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven after the florentines are golden and allow time to cool, then ENJOY!