TGIF! To kick off my weekend I thought I should do a little baking. I was really in the mood to make some type of snack food that I could munch on and not get too full from. So I came upon the idea of making crackers! I found this recipe on Pinterest a while ago and have been wanting to try it ever since! 'Gluten Free On A Shoestring' created the original recipe for vanilla animal crackers, but I changed it up a little, based on what ingredients I had in the pantry.
These crackers aren't salty crackers you would have with cheese or sweet crackers you would have as a dessert; these crackers are in the middle. Their flavor is a tad sweet because the recipe calls for sugar, but the sweetness is not very noticeable. I would suggest experimenting with different flavors like peanut butter, chocolate chips, banans, or oats to give the crackers a different flavor and texture.
If you dont want to make these crackers gluten free, you can use regular flour instead of gluten free flour--its the same ratio (1:1) (:
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose GF flour
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon (a dash) baking soda
- 3 tablespoons almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1/8 teaspoon (a dash) salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg ( I used an egg replacer: 1 tsp egg replacer with 2 tablespoons water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and mix until a dough is created
- On a sheet of baking paper (parchment paper) place the dough in the center and add another sheet of baking paper on top.
- Roll out the dough until it is 1/4 inch thick and place it in the freezer for 15 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350F
- After 15 minutes, take dough out of the freezer. Using a cookie cutter, cut out shapes for the crackers and place on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.